I'm pushing through my struggles and starting NaNoWriMo today and now with that in progress I started to think about my failed attempt at MilWordy.
For those of you who don't know MilWordy is a writing challenge where you attempt to write 1 million words through the course of a year's time. That equals 2,739 words a day. I started that challenge for the first time earlier this year and failed and have since tried and failed again. Now that I'm working on 250K words for NaNo I've decided to start it over again. I mean, third times the charm right?
Here's the thing, when October comes I get into a little frenzy preparing for NaNo. That being said I don't want to finish MilWordy during October 2014, so I'm giving myself until September 30th, 2014 to finish. But with the head start I'll be getting from (hopefully) finishing my NaNo 2013 goal of 250K that shouldn't be a problem.
Also to push myself even harder I want to double it. Yep, that's right, I want to write 2 million words in 11 months time. 2 million words / by 334 days = 5,988 words a day. If I finish my word count goal for this month that will leave me with 5,756 words a day in order to win MilWordy.
I know that sounds ludicrious to attempt it without ever having won MilWordy before but I'm not starting out for the first time either. I know the challenges involved in attempting it and I'm prepared for those challenges. And of course I'll be blogging about my progress along the way.
Happy Writing!
Elle
Hi, Elle. Just wondering how the writing is coming?! I'm a NaNo participant myself. I found your blog while zooming around the NaNo forums. I like the way you write and I find your challenge of what, a million words?, a year to be truly inspirational! Just the thought of TRYING is pretty cool! I've been writing every day--personal journaling, mostly, but also blogging and working on my memoir--and based on my online journal that I have, I'm easily going to hit 200K for the year. I wonder what my word count would be if I counted EVERYTHING I write....Is that how your plan works? For example, I'm an English Instructor at a college, so would I count an assignment that I post? Or emails I write? I hope you'll add more to your blog this year! I wish you the best of luck!
ReplyDeleteHi! The writing has been coming along great. I hit a snag last year after my last post and I realized somewhere along the way that for some reason trying to do MilWordy (writing 1,000,000 words in a years time) was getting in the way of my writing. So, I stopped the challenge and just wrote whatever I wanted whenever I wanted and my numbers jumped up! I have decided to restart MilWordy again starting today (10/01/14) to help prepare me for NaNoWriMo (even though MilWordy is technically more words per day then NaNoWriMo). So now that I'm back on the MilWordy train you can expect at least weekly updates on that plus I'll update this blog on how I'm doing through NaNoWriMo.
DeleteI personally only count words toward my novel when doing MilWordy but a friend of mine who also attempted it MilWordy counted journal entries, and blog posts as well. I've also heard of people counting emails or anything else they write during the day. The choice is up to you. It's really about what works for you, so, if you want to count blogging that's totally cool too!
What's your blog name so I can check it out? And thanks for the compliment and for checking out my blog! I'll defiantly add more by 10/07.